So here’s my deal. A very personal one. I will definitely, without any doubt, vote PN next elections on these conditions:
1. That before the elections (and not on the last day), the Nationalist Party openly admits that the current electoral system and the current political lanscape is not conducive to a legitimate, accountable system of representation and consequently does not lead to governance for the good of the people.
2. That it openly admits that the country’s electoral population deserves more respect than it has currently received and that the time is ripe for an institutional and electoral reform.
3. That a quota for national proportional representation will be in place come next election.
4. That the laws on funding of political parties, regulations of candidates contesting elections (spending power) and the ownership of media by political parties will be reviewed within two years of being in government and submitted for public approval (referendum) following an open discussion with ALL the public.
5. That an Open Public Debate will be immidiately initiated on all reforms that are necessary for the rejuvenation of our democracy that will return politicians to their role as servants of the people and pursuers of public good. That the concept of public good will replace the implied concept of what is good for the party.
6. That it recognises that the electoral mechanisms practically mean that the majority never represents clearly a particular issue or position and that it will examine the possibility of other mechanisms in order to consult the population on certain measures and positions to be taken.
7. That yes, together all is possible… when together is really the all-inclusive, all encompassing word… and not simply those who agree to see the world with blue eyes only.
Sadly, I wanted to type this in a much more formal way but seeinghow the discussion is veering in this direction anyway I would like you people to join in and suggest amendments to this draft. I would say that having reread this, the appeal should be to all parties to make the same commitment. I cannot do anything better now since I have a beginners’ slope waiting for some practice before my lesson today when I start my first green slope.